Monday, March 28, 2016

Stash Busting Project #2- Zippered Pouch Gifts

I had a roller derby tournament this past weekend where I was a Crew Head. As a Crew Head, I have about 12 people working on a my crew and it's sort of customary for the Crew Head to bring small gifts or mementos for their crew. The tournament was called Clover Cup I just so happened to have a random pile of clover themed fabric scraps from a kids St Patrick's Day camp project I did a few years ago. Scraps that I figured I would never use again seeing as how I don't really celebrate St Patrick's Day nor do I know anyone who is super into Irish culture to use it for gifts. I was really just holding on to this fabric because I'm a hoarder and was CONVINCED it would come it handy one day. Well...here was my moment! Hoarding validated!

The problem was because these were scraps from a kids craft project, the clover fabric was really cut to pieces. I really didn't want to have to spend a bunch of money on this so I needed something that I could incorporate the clover fabric in small pieces. Hoping to put my newfound quilting skills to the test, I found this great tutorial from The Sewing Chick that I thought was perfect for what I was working with. I had so much miscellaneous fabric in my stash that the only thing I ended up needing to purchase was pink zippers!

Click the photo to check out her blog and see the awesome tutorial.
I love this little bag and this tutorial is amazing and comprehensive, but what I didn't take into consideration is how many little tiny pieces of fabric I was going to have to cut out! This bag requires 32 total pieces of fabric plus adjusting the length of zipper. Making a few bags would be a piece of cake, but I was making 20 so I could have a few for my crew, a few extras as gifts, and a buffer incase I messed some up. That's a lot of cutting and a lot of sewing! I definitely learned a ton though!



Even though I thought making so many of these was going to kill me, what's funny is I actually think I might end up making more with different fabrics and saving them as ready to go gifts for the holidays. While I'm pumped I got to make so many awesome things with my scraps, I don't know if I should be happy or concerned with my hoarding that I could make 20 matching bags with fabric I already have???


I mixed in zebra and flamingo themed fabric with the clovers because officials can't get enough zebra and flamingo swag. I really loved the the overall look of the bag and I think my crew loved them too. 


I finished these all about a week and a half ago and I haven't made anything since partially because of time and partially because I kinda wore myself out with these. My back and my patience can only handle hunching over a sewing machine for so long. I have some more plans for scraps that I hope to get around to this weekend!




Friday, March 4, 2016

Stash Busting Project #1- Sanctuary Blankets

I have been trying to come up with creative ways to use fabric scraps, but I have SO MUCH extra fabric that sometimes it feels overwhelming. I have not only fabric that I've purchased but also fabric leftover from when I owned Craft Haus and we had some miscellaneous supplies to get rid of so I took home a bunch of extra fabric. I mean I could just get rid of it, but it seems so wasteful. Plus some of it was so cut to shreds from using it for kids crafts that even donating it seemed silly.


I decided to tackle the mountain by eliminating some of the bigger pieces of fabric I didn't care for first. I figured getting rid of some of the bulk would leave me more room to sort through smaller pieces later plus if I have fabric I don't like then it's silly to save it. I pulled everything that wasn't my style and was larger than a fat quarter to make blankets to donate to Atlasta Home Sanctuary! This was a two-birds-one-stone type project because I also incorporated old t-shirts so I could practice sewing knits and woven fabrics together! One of my goals for this year is to make a t-shirt quilt so it was great practice to sew on something that didn't need to be perfect.


Animal sanctuaries of all kinds need blankets and other types of bedding. Plus the animals are just going to tear it up and get it dirty so it's okay if things are old, torn, or imperfect in some way. You can use old sheets, clothes, scrap fabric, whatever. It was also great practice for laying out a design and figuring out how all the scrap pieces would fit together. 


The end result was certainly nothing amazing to look at, but it's perfect for some piglets at Atlasta and I'm relieved to get a few yards of fabric out of the way! Plus I feel a lot more comfortable with sewing t-shirts now.


Let's see what else I cam come up with....

Wednesday, March 2, 2016

In Pictures: Februrary 2016

Launched my new business!
Getting my workspace/creative space organized
Mailing off some special fabric to a friend
A dangerous, dangerous place!
Taking care of some long overdue stash busting
Still so jazzed about finishing my first quilt!
Prepping for new projects! 
The last month has been nothing but prepping for new projects, lots of sewing, and organizing. Now that I know how to quilt I feel like the flood gates have opened and I'm ready to make ALL THE THINGS!