Friday, July 8, 2016

Viva La Frida Swap: What I Made

Since my swap partner finally received her package yesterday, I can safely share what I made! My partner was Trisha from Yankee Rose Creations. Once I chatted with her a bit, I found out she is opening a new art space called Strange Days Creative Arts Center and that her swap item would be on display there. That's when I decided to make her a wall hanging using some Frida fabric I had as the jumping off point.



I combined applique, quilting techniques, and acrylic paint to complete the wall hanging. I really love mixed media and with something decorative you can try so many things! The base of the hanging is fabric with thick interfacing in between. The red border is a standard binding similar to what would be on a quilt.


Trisha said her favorite quote from Frida was "pies, para que los quiero si tengo alas para volar" which translates to "feet, why do I need you if I have wings to fly." I wanted to incorporate the meaning from the quote as well as elements from Frida's work which is why I included the bird as well as the ribbon/banner. Frida's painting were inspired by religious retablos and often had banners or scrolls with text within the paintings. The skeleton Frida was a nod to several things, specifically, the Two Fridas painting as well as Dia de los Muertos.



The back was simple and lined with a contrasting fabric just to sort of make everything feel sealed and finished.


My original plan was to focus on the wall hanging, but I had a bit of extra Frida fabric and I wanted to send something just for Trisha and not her studio so I made her a simple Frida tote bag. The inside is lined with the same blue fabric as the wall hanging. The strap and blue pom poms were also items I already had at home. It was a quick and simple add on, but I still think it's a cute little bag.



I put it all together with some extra Frida postcards I had from my trip to Tesoros. Overall I think it made a nice little package! Now that the swap is over, I'm kinda bummed! I certainly have more projects to move on to, but this was such a highlight for my summer.

If you participated, don't forget to keep sending in your photos so we can share them on Facebook and Instagram! And don't forget to like and follow us to see updates on everyone else's awesome items. To see what Lizette made, check out her blog here!

No comments:

Post a Comment