Friday, June 3, 2016

Frida Frida Favs Pt 5: Frida Inspired Fashion

It goes without saying that in addition to be an amazing painter, activist, and a feminist before feminism was a thing, Frida Kahlo was a style icon. I've read articles that talk about how as she got older and her health declined, her clothing choices became more elaborate. From her Tehuana dresses to her braided hair, I would think she is one of the most recognizable people from the 20th century although I certainly don't have hard facts to back that up. Her style and essence is what made me fall in love with her when I learned about her artwork in the 8th grade. For today's post as part of our Viva La Frida Swap, I decided to do an outfit post (something I haven't done in forever!) and do a modern take on some of my own Frida inspired wardrobe choices.

Top- T.J. Maxx
Jeans- Target
Necklace- thrifted
Bag- A gift from Lizette from CreativityLizette

I've had short hair most of my life, but one of my goals in growing it out is to be able to do more Frida/Heidi-esque braids. This is my first attempt now that it's long enough to start doing more with it. I'm so excited! I know it's not the most amazing hairstyle, but for a short haired gal I'm pumped about it!


I put together an additional Frida inspired Polyvore board with some items I love from ModCloth and Etsy. I could probably look at Frida related stuff all day and never get bored....which is probably for the best considering that's all I've been doing wth this swap! I'm so glad I've found other like-minded people who can appreciate it with me!


Viva La Frida

Viva La Frida by themorosebee featuring graphic tees

Here's a video from Univision about the opening of her wardrobe collection at Casa Azul from back when it opened a few years ago. It is one of my dreams to be able to visit one day! When that day finally comes, I will TOTALLY be in tears the entire time. 


If you're participating in the Viva La Frida Swap, I hope you stay inspired! Don't forget to check out Lizette's blog for more inspiration. Have a great weekend!

2 comments:

  1. Visiting La Casa Azul is on my bucket list. I would love to visit it with you someday. Yes, I would totally cry too. I would be so overwhelmed with joy to be there. Let's save and make this happen!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So far this is my favorite Friday Frida Fav post. I learned a lot about the video posted and got a little emotional too. Great job Emily!

    ReplyDelete