Thursday, March 15, 2012

30 Day Challange Days 2+3

#4 on The List: Research an artist 
I've been spending a bit of time looking into Margaret Kilgallen. She was featured in the Art:21 series as well as in the  2008 documentary Beautiful Losers. What attracted me to her was a quote that keeps popping up:I like things that are handmade and I like to see people's hand in the world, anywhere in the world; it doesn't matter to me where it is. And in my own work, I do everything by hand. I don't project or use anything mechanical, because even though I do spend a lot of time trying to perfect my line work and my hand, my hand will always be imperfect because it's human. And I think it's the part that's off that's interesting, that even if I'm doing really big letters and I spend a lot of time going over the line and over the line and trying to make it straight, I'll never be able to make it straight. From a distance it might look straight, but when you get close up, you can always see the line waver. And I think that's where the beauty is. Considering she was primarily a street artist and passed away at the young age of 33, I feel that perhaps the information on her is fairly limited. Regardless, I cannot get enough of her artwork. 



Quite possibly my favorite things about her are that she played the banjo and was into train graffiti. There's something about that hobo folk aesthetic that I just love. I feel  there is a sense of wonder and excitement still remaining in street art that I wish more people brought to fine arts. 

#22. Finger paint
Yesterday I did some finger painting with the kids I babysit. I usually try and get them to do some kind of art everyday, but I don't always participate. This time I decided to try a new item on the challenge and go for it.  I realized how much I'd forgotten how wonderful it feels to just sit down and create. No real intention behind it, just being silly and doodling. 

I am often painting for work or some endeavor that has a stress related factor to it, but sitting down just to get my hands messy and play with color was a wonderful change. If you are feeling stressed out just sit and finger paint. I'm serious. Had a tough day at work? Try it! You'll feel so much better. 

Today and I went and picked up this book:

After my finger painting experience, I realized this might be a good creative aid to add to my morning routine. I used to laugh at books like this. I thought anyone could just sit and draw random things, but the truth is we don't. We make excuses and are too busy being stressed out by "real life." Dear Real Life, I would like my creativity back and am doing everything I can to make that happen.

No comments:

Post a Comment