Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Holiday How To

This Christmas, my friend Rachael has the idea to do a themed Christmas tree so we chose a Mexican/Dios de los Muertos themed tree. I know it's kind of an odd mash up of two holidays, but I thought it would make a fun thematic tree idea. After looking at a bunch of traditional Mexican artwork, I got inspired to make my own tree topper! Here's how:

 

First I made a basic heart shape by wrapping masking tape around a wad of used grocery bags. Keep wrapping the tape around until you get just the right shape you're looking for.


Then I took some plaster sheets and cut them into strips. You only need about a foot and a half worth of the roll cut into about 1/2 inch strips. 


Dip each strip in water and begin wrapping around your base shape. Layer the strips over top of one another to make sure the item is strong and solid.

 
 

And that's pretty much it! That's the awesome thing about plaster strips! They dry in any shape you leave them and you can use almost anything as your mold. 
To finish mine off, I painted the entire thing in red paint and then used Mod Podge to put a photo of Frida Kahlo in the center the heart.


Our tree is a little sparse considering it's our first year with ornaments or anything, but I think I little Charlie Brown-esque tree is a cutie. 

No comments:

Post a Comment