Sunday, October 9, 2011

Edible Crafts

Sweet potato chili is my number one go to cold weather comfort food. I found the original recipe in one of those "Complete Idiots Guide" books on veganism. Since then I've made several variations based on what I had lying around at the time. I think as long as you have a tomato based sauce and a few varieties of beans, you can make any variation of chili you want, but this is how I make mine. 

Ingredients:
Box of veggie broth
Can crushed tomatoes
Two large sweet potatoes
One red, one yellow, and one green bell pepper
One red onion
Can black beans
Can kidney beans
Frozen corn (roughly one cup)
One jalapeño
Small bunch of chopped cilantro
Assorted spices: This time I threw in some salt, pepper, cumin, red paper flakes, and chili powder


Dice the potatoes up to bite size pieces and throw them into a big pot with oil for about five minutes. Then add in chopped onion and garlic and sauté for another minute or so. 


Then add in the peppers and sauté for another few minutes.



Add in the broth, tomatoes, corn, and beans and simmer for 15 minutes.


Add in the chopped jalapeño, spices, and cilantro and simmer for another 10 minutes an then serve.  You could simmer it for much longer, but I get hungry and impatient and only wait the potatoes are soft.


It just tastes like fall to me!

2 comments: