Sunday, September 11, 2011

Wayward Bookworm

Hi Guys!
I apologize for the lack in posts this week, but it was final week of Roller Derby for the 2011 season and I had a quite a bit going on. I'm also shifting jobs so I have a lot of life rearrangement going on. Oh AND its my first week of classes. Yeah... I hope you can understand?

I wanted to catch up on a series of posts that I haven't done since May! Blah! I swore I would do Wayward Bookworm once a month and I just fail at life. I have actually done quite a bit of reading, but just haven't been keeping up with doing reviews! I guess I prove why I stick with the title "Wayward Bookworm," eh?

So the bulk of my summer was consumed with reading Wise Man's Fear by Patrick Rothfuss.



The book is over one thousand pages, so, even though I was reading for at least 15 minutes everyday, it still took me a few weeks to get through.

I will say that without Ari's constant badgering, this a series I never would have picked up on my own. This is book two of the Kingkiller Chronicles (as I believe the trilogy is being titled). The third has yet to be released. Basically, fantasy isn't really my genre. I've always been more of a library nerd than a sci-fi nerd so I would never usually go to the fantasy/sci-fi book section in stores or libraries. Other thank= Harry Potter, my level of reading on books regarding magic, dragons, or anything of the like is pretty much at zero.

With all of that said, I have been really enjoying these books.

The books are written in a frame narrative with the bulk of the story being told in first person reminiscing from the protagonist named Kvothe. I have seen several nasty criticism for the book online,  and I will agree with some of it in that YES there is a serious lack of humility throughout the book. Of course as a fantasy novels, many situations are unrealistic just by the very nature of their context, but I find that, while some of the text can seem arrogantly grating, I think many of us look back on our teenage years and find the moments we found significant as something more profound than they really were. In reality we were all obnoxious little shits who were in over our heads in whatever we were doing at age 16. I find that to be the most interesting quality about the book. I think ultimately that's what makes this book so great. You can clearly see this arrogant young boy taking on crazy obstacles and, the best part, not always succeeding.

Other than 100 pages that totally drag in the middle, I would definitely recommend this book to anyone willing to dive into quite a long read.

TMB Rating: 3.5 out of 5 Stings

No comments:

Post a Comment