Friday, August 12, 2011

Imitation Is The Sincerest Form Of Flattery

I completed a custom piece a few days ago that I'm quite proud of! It was a piece brought to me by a very kind man who wanted me to replicate his art rather than make copies himself so he could hang the piece in a  display in his home. 

This is the original

 Work in progress before the firing.


The finished piece! I think it came out great and I'm really happy with the finished result. Sometimes copying someone else's artwork can be exhausting because you have to be so careful, but this was actually quite fun. 


Forcing yourself to replicate something is the best way to learn. It challenges your brain to use techniques or colors that you're not familiar with or would normally never pick out. Plus painting a big giant piece after being so used to make tiny little pieces was a bit of a relief on my hands.

2 comments:

  1. It turned out great! If you hadn't labeled which one was which I would of thought the replica was the original.

    ReplyDelete