Saturday, May 21, 2011

Wayward Bookworm

I used to read so much it was insane. I would stay up all night with a night light on in my room reading until I could barely keep my eyes open and then I would read some more. It was..well...a sickness. I have literally walked straight into poles and parked cars because I would walk while reading a book because I just couldn't stand to put it down. 

Etsy Seller: designbyaimee


And then life happened. 

In the last 4 months I've only read 2 books and I find that a little disgusting. If you knew me in grade school, you'd understand. 

In an effort to change that, I thought it would be fun to do a little book review blog post. I'm going to make a goal to do one a month, but we'll see how that goes.


While I was reading White Teeth, I had a lot of people ask me "Oh, what's that about?" and for a while I didn't really have an answer. I knew I was enjoying it and I knew I couldn't put it down, but I wasn't entirely sure what the end "message" was going to be. Perhaps I became so engulfed in Introduction--Rising Action--Climax--Falling Action--Conclusion that I didn't event know what to make of this novel at first. The story is narrated bit by bit by almost every character and at different points in time so you're never quite sure where it's going next. The result is one that made it hard to put down. Ultimately it's a story of two families in England and their interpersonal struggles, immigration and multiculturalism, and the way ones past can manage to sneak at the most inconvenient times. At over 400 pages, it's quite an engrossing read and one I would recommend when you have the time to read it straight through. 

The Morose Bee gives it 4 out of 5 Stings. 



Next on my reading list, Part Two of the Kingkiller Chronicles- Wise Man's Fear by Patrick Rothfuss 


No comments:

Post a Comment