Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Habitat for Insanity- Part 4

One of the reasons that I wanted to start doing a Habitat for Insanity blog portion is I want to be able to focus on the chaos of tiny, broke-ass apartment living. Living in such conditions turns you into a purge-aholic, but figuring out when to let go can be tricky. 

Isla Fisher knows how it feels.

Going through my closet is usually something along the lines of:
"Well, this fits okay I guess. I mean, not great, but maybe I can hem it or something. Well, the fabric is kind of cool maybe I should hold onto even if I don't wear it because it could look neat to use this pattern in a craft project. Ehh....no I should get rid of it....
......but it was a gift. Maybe I should hold onto it. It's not my favorite thing, but you know it looks okay. Maybe if I bought something that complimented it better I could make it work, but, but, but, but excuse excuse excuse excuse.." And then my head explodes. 

I decided to make a no nonsense flow chart of when to get rid of clothes.
(click to enlarge)

Notice only two paths lead to KEEP: 
1. You like it and it fits
2. It has serious sentimental value (i.e. you'll probably never wear your mom's wedding dress, but it's totally understandable not to want to get rid of it!)

I left out all mention of holding items for crafting purposes because it's a DEATH TRAP. If you allow yourself to use the "crafter's excuse" you will never get rid of anything! Trust me, I know. You can always find a shabby thrift shop to pick up old clothes and fabrics from if/when you are ACTUALLY WORKING ON A PROJECT THAT NEEDS THEM!

A lot of people like to follow the 6 Month Rule of if you haven't worn it 6 months then toss it, but I don't think that works. I haven't worn many of my tank tops since last August, but I live in Boston and my wardrobe is seasonal. Seasonal items that hang around and don't get worn very often are okay in my book because my heavy coat is packed away and I'll be breaking out those tank tops in just a few weeks.

I would like to think that one day I will lead a minimalist lifestyle and my apartment will be a decluttered stress-free environment. Now back to reality....

4 comments:

  1. Nice flow chart. Very useful. I'm a bit of a pack-rat (I used to be MUCH worse), and as you know, that habit doesn't fit well into the tiny-apartment-living lifestyle. ;o) This will definitely help me out. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. With seasonal clothes if I didn't wear it at all the last season, I usually toss it. I agree, 6 months isn't long enough unless you live in an area where the weather doesn't change much.

    ReplyDelete
  3. that is a great flowchart. i need to use it and go through my closet. i have stuff in there i haven't worn in years! and i've been moving it from house to house.

    ReplyDelete