Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Edible Crafts

Mango BBQ Beans on a Bed of Cilantro and Lime Yuca
I have NO IDEA why I have not been putting MANGO AND BBQ SAUCE TOGETHER ON EVERYTHING! I tried a recipe from Appetite for Reduction and OMG mango and bbq sauce are the missing pieces to my life. Although I could eat a mango every day and never get sick of it. I grew up with mango and avocado trees at almost every house I've ever lived in. There are some things about Florida you just can't beat.

So first I boiled up some yuca for mashing as the base of my meal...and...well... I think Yuca and I just aren't friends. I mean, I tried. I really did you guys. 



One of my goals this year is to try cooking more with produce I'm not familiar with and after several other attempts at making yuca dishes I thought I'd give it one last go. I've had yuca fries and other delicious things at restaurants, but it is just not a root that I seem to be able to master. It comes out tasting like mucus and I always struggle with getting out the thick stringy center. Dear Yuca, I, Emily Taylor, surrender to you.

Now I'll just move on to figuring out where the hell my grocery store is hiding the shallots and arrowroot powder.....


Anyways, onto the delicious part of my meal that turned out well....


Every good meal starts with garlic. Even if a recipe doesn't call for garlic, I'll put it in anyway...


Mango and cilantro...OM NOM NOM!


A lovely bubbling mix of onion, garlic, kidney beans, mango, tomato sauce, veggie broth, and a whole lot of delicious!




I think this is the recipe I'll use if I ever needed to make any kind of baked bean style dish ever again. I've made other dishes where the BBQ flavor kind of weirded me out because I associate it with meat, but the mango mellowed that out completely for me. Horray magical mango!

No comments:

Post a Comment