Thursday, January 13, 2011

Edible Crafts

So I tend to shy away from "scary" recipes or things I'm not familiar with or new produce I'm not familiar with cooking. I'm trying to break that mold so I made my own seitan! I'm usually not even really a huge fan of seitan and would much rather choose tofu or tempeh or another form of veggie protein instead, but I felt up for a challange. Essentially, seitan is a wheat gluten patty used primarily as a mock meat.


It starts off looking like cookie dough and then you have to boil it for an hour..which is...kind of disturbing actually.


Not the most appetizing looking picture, eh?

So I followed on of Isa Chandra Moskowitz's recipes from Veganomicon and made some slaw for BBQ Seitan Sandwiches.





All in all, the sandwiches were pretty good. I even ate two of them. However, I think tofu and tempeh are still my favorite. Seitan's mass appeal is that it has the most meat like texture and can absorb the most flavor, but that's kind of what I disliked about it. I'm a vegan for many reasons, but one of them is because I prefer the taste and texture of fresh produce above all else and if I wanted to eat meat I would just eat meat. I don't want a gluten sponge pretending to be meat. 

No comments:

Post a Comment