Thursday, January 6, 2011

Edible Crafts

I've been cooking up a storm lately. Ever since Rachael's visit my collection of Isa  Chandra Moskowitz cookbooks has grown quite a bit. As a vegan I'm always trying to make things that are "meat-eater friendly" for Ari's taste buds so the other day I made Beanball Subs from Veganomicon.

The beanballs are made from 1 can of kidney beans mashed with 2 tblspoons soy sauce, 2 tblspoons steak sauce, 2 tblspoons olive oil, 2 cloves garlic, 1/2 cup bread crumbs, 1/4 cup vital wheat gluten, 1/4 teaspoon lemon zest, dash oregano, and a dash of dried thyme. Grease a baking sheet and bake for 15 minutes at 375 degrees.


Cover with marinara sauce and bake for an additional 10 minutes.

I made the marinara sauce from scratch, but I feel like can sauce would work too if you don't feel like all the effort.


I put some veganaise on toasted buns, put about 4-5 beanballs on each, and drizzled with a scoop of sauce. They tasted yummy as a stand alone vegan treat, but also made from a good "meat" ball sub substitute. 


2 comments:

  1. Sooo my brother got me Appetite for Reduction for Xmas and my mom got me the Vegan Cookie book, so we've probably been doing a lot of similar cookin. I made the peanut butter pillow cookies today. OMG NOM NOM NOM NOM YESSS! I've also been making a lot of the Appetite book's salads to try and balance the cookie madness.

    ReplyDelete
  2. omg the peanut butter pillows are the best! i've been cooking a lot lately, but as i'm not doing a "food" blog i've been trying to hold back.
    i just ate two cookies before checking my blog! lol.
    yesterday i made the bbq seitan sandwiches. i'm not a huge fan of seitan or at least not as much as tempeh and/or tofu, but they were pretty good. plus making seitan from scratch was pretty cool as you don't do that will tofu or tempeh usually.

    ReplyDelete