Friday, July 23, 2010

Upcycled Crayons Tutorial

So I was really shocked to find out that my upcycled crayons were so popular on Etsy! They were featured in that Etsy finds e-mail last week and both listings sold right away and then I had several e-mails from people requesting more. I think they're a great little item to make because I am 100% reusing a material that most people would just toss.

So....here's how I make 'em.

1. take all your little bits and pieces. it doesn't matter if you mix brands or anything like that. just make sure they're all crayons and not some other new-fangled over priced child's coloring apparatus.

2. remove all wrappers, lint, or any other guests that may be co-habitating with your crayons


3. sort them by color or whatever way you want. i usually try and keep my warm colors and my cool colors together or what have you, but get creative.

4. cook 'em up! i usually set my oven to about 350 and keep and eye on them so they don't burn

5. i put them in the freezer as soon as i take them out of the oven to cool down. be careful not to spill the hot crayon juice on yourself. i guess it would technically be called wax, but crayon juice is much more fun to say.


6. whenever they've solidified, pop them out carefully and voila! new funky crayons! i use a silicon cupcake tray so taking out is easy, but i dunno how metal out work. i'll have to look into it.

4 comments:

  1. This is awesome!!! Such a great idea!
    I just pinned it in my 'Do It Yourself' board. Thanks so much for sharing!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much for the cool tutorial!! I shared it on my blog whiterabbittreasures.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a really cool idea to reuse the crayons that my kids have been using! Thanks a lot for sharing.
    dining table

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete