Monday, May 3, 2010

Internet Inspiration #4- Coffee Kid

Leslie Buck, the designer of the most famous coffee cup umm... like ever, died last week. You can read an article about Buck's cups here. They also sell ceramic versions of the cup here, but I'd rather make my own than pay $38 for one. Those silly blue cups have been in just about every movie that takes place in New York City (which is really every movie) and is also the inspiration for the coffee cup design for Kidrobots Yummy Breakfast Coffee Keychain. I am obsessed with this stupid little keychain. I dunno why. I just know that I drink obscene amouns of coffee and I love Kidrobot. Incase you don't know, Yummy Breakfast come in surprise boxes, which means that I have easily spent $100 buying these things. I've been picking one up almost every time I've gone into Urban Outfitters for the last 2 years. I've gotten several doughnuts, bagels, and even the mystery toast. Oh yes, the mystery toast. Never a coffee. You're probably wondering why I don't just check out Ebay or trade with someone or find some other way to get one. Well...because I'm not a quitter god dammit. I have to find one on my own. It seems silly for a cheap little keychain, but I'm weird like that. It's been my own secret little Willy Wonka Golden Ticket for the last few months minus Gene Wilder or Johnny Depp or chocolate. When I found out that Leslie Buck had died it was odd to think that little blue cup was just created by some Eastern European dude trying to cater to Greek NYC deli's and then it was everywhere. It's weird how these little sub-culture products come to be.

For today's internet inspiration I've decided to showcase a few of my other favorite homage to food/beverage obsessions... Food Tattoos. I friggin love them. They're so ridiculous and fun. I was surprised that I wasn't able to find any coffee cup tattoos, but oh well.

No comments:

Post a Comment