Friday, April 9, 2010

A Day Without Shoes

Yesterday I spent the day barefoot for Tom's A Day Without Shoes movement. I love Tom's and especially love that they carry VEGAN FRIENDLY SHOES! Yay! (pssssst.... buy me the shoes above) A Day Without Shoes is where people who don't know the hardship of being too poor to even afford shoes decide to go completely barefoot for the day.

According to the Tom's website "Many children in developing countries grow up barefoot. Whether at play, doing chores or going to school, these children are at risk:

•A leading cause of disease in developing countries is soil-transmitted diseases, which can penetrate the skin through bare feet. Wearing shoes can help prevent these diseases, and the long-term physical and cognitive harm they cause.

•Wearing shoes also prevents feet from getting cuts and sores. Not only are these injuries painful, they also are dangerous when wounds become infected.

•Many times children can't attend school barefoot because shoes are a required part of their uniform. If they don't have shoes, they don't go to school. If they don't receive an education, they don't have the opportunity to realize their potential.

I did wear shoes when I ran errands for work and had to go inside of stores or restaurants, but I spent all day at work with no shoes. I normally enjoy being barefoot, but I rarely spend the entire day working with no shoes. When I came home I had to wash my feet before I did anything else because they felt so disgusting. Plus working at a ceramic/mosaic studio meant there were lots of tiny broken shards to step on during the day. It's not that I'm ignorant of the hardship in the world, but it really does put things in perspective.

No comments:

Post a Comment