Wednesday, March 24, 2010

For my birthday in 2008, my friend Rachael gave me a Vegan Cupcakes Take Over The World by Isa Chandra Moskowitz and Terry Hope Romero.
I should probably preface this with the fact that baking has never been my strong suite. I'm am notorious for doing things like forgetting to add shortening or even the flour or some other ridiculous thing that leads to horrible baked goodies. However, I do love cooking and, as a vegan, I much prefer cooking than trying miserably to find vegan options at the restaurants around my house. I should also preface this with the fact that I don't like cake. I am pie girl. Every year for my birthday I have an apple pie with candles in it. I find that cake is normally too sweet from too much frosting or too dry from bad cake. The thing that is so wonderful about cupcakes is they are the perfect 3 bite serving of cake. Just enough so you can taste the sweetness and the flavors and enjoy it. Cupcakes are always delicious, a big slice of cake is not. I know it's weird, but what can I say? I'm a pie girl.

Anyways,I decided a few months ago that I was going to cook my way through this book and make one new batch of cupcakes a week. Well...I got about 3 flavors in and lost my way. I had also been accidentally using corn meal instead of corn starch so everything was tasting like corn bread.

So this week I became renergized with my love of cupcakes and decide to make Golden Vanilla Cupcakes with Vegan Fluffy Buttercream Frosting. I was quite pleased and they were quite yummy. I still havent managed to get the consistency of the frosting quite right, but everyone loves a yummy sugary mess.


Golden Vanilla Cupcakes:
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit
2. Whisk 1 cup of soy milk with 1 tsp of apple cider vinegar and set mixture to the side a few minutes to curdle
3. Beat together sou milk mixture, 1/3 cup canola oil, 3/4 cup granulated sugar, 2 tsp vanilla extract, 1/4 tsp almond extract
4. Sift in 1 1/4 cup flour, 2 tbsp corn starch, 3/4 tsp baking power, 1/2 tsp baking soda, 1/2 tsp salt and mix
5. Fill your cupcake liners 2/3 of the way full and bake for 20-22 minutes. Transfer cupcakes to a cooling rack and allow to completely cool before frosting

Vegan Fluffy Buttercream Frosting
1. Beat together 1/2 non hydrogenated shortening, 1/2 non hydrogenated margarine until well combined and fluffy
2. Add 3 1/2 cups of confectioners sugar and beat for about 3 more minutes
3. Add 1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract, 1/4 plain soy milk and beat for another 5-7 minutes

You can buy Vegan Cupcakes Take Over the World here off of Amazon or here off of Barnes and Noble

No comments:

Post a Comment